Activity Tracking Is The Most-Wanted Smartwatch Feature
These days everybody seems to be talking about smartwatches. We've already seen smartwatches from Samsung, Motorola and LG and we're likely to see one from Apple later today. Some are shaped rectangular and others look more like traditional wristwatches. But what value do these wearable mini computers deliver and what do consumers really want from them?
According to an international survey conducted by German research institute GfK, the most wanted feature in a smartwatch is activity tracking. Borrowing from fitness wristbands, most smartwatches can track steps, measure your heart rate and tell you how many calories you are burning throughout the day. Apple's rumoured iWatch is also expected to focus on the health aspect, even though it might take things further than other devices have thus far. Apple has reportedly put a lot of effort into health measuring technologies that could find their way into the iWatch.
While consumers from all five markets included in the survey agree on activity tracking being the most important smartwatch feature, there are differences in what else could convince them to shell out hundreds of dollars for one of the new gadgets. While consumers in China and South Korea think a smartwatch should be able to handle phone calls, people from Germany, the UK and the United States think it would be nice if a smartwatch could actually tell time.
- Penetration of wearable technology in Great Britain, Germany, France and Italy 2016Penetration of wearable technology in Great Britain, Germany, France and Italy 2016
- Wearable technology ownership in Great Britain in 2016, by brandWearable technology ownership in Great Britain in 2016, by brand
- Average price of wearable technology products in the United Kingdom (UK) 2014Average price of wearable technology products in the United Kingdom (UK) 2014
- Most funded Kickstarter projects 2017Most funded Kickstarter projects 2017
- Sales of wearables by category worldwide 2015-2021Sales of wearables by category worldwide 2015-2021
- Global AMOLED display shipments 2014-2016Global AMOLED display shipments 2014-2016
- Wearable cameras global market size 2015-2021Wearable cameras global market size 2015-2021
- Projected healthcare wearable device shipments worldwide 2015-2021Projected healthcare wearable device shipments worldwide 2015-2021
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl