World's 80 Richest People Have Same Wealth As Poorest 50%
A large portion of the world's financial resources is being controlled by a small and wealthy elite. The scale of inequality across the globe is simply staggering - the wealthiest 1 percent will soon own more than the rest of the world's population, according to a report from Oxfam.
The report also states that the world's 80 richest individuals have the same wealth as that owned by the bottom 50 percent of the global population - some 3.5 billion people. Between 2009 and 2014, the wealth of the planet's 80 richest has more than doubled in nominal terms while the wealth of the bottom 50 percent was lower in 2014 than it was in 2009.
- Distribution of wealth in the United States as of 2013Distribution of wealth in the United States as of 2013
- Share of people agreeing wealth inequality is growing in Belgium 2016, by ageShare of people agreeing wealth inequality is growing in Belgium 2016, by age
- Gini Index - countries with the biggest inequality in income distribution 2015Gini Index - countries with the biggest inequality in income distribution 2015
- China: monthly Consumer Price Index (CPI) by region February 2017China: monthly Consumer Price Index (CPI) by region February 2017
- Per capita disposable income of urban households in China 2008-2016Per capita disposable income of urban households in China 2008-2016
- United States - annual real GDP 1990-2015United States - annual real GDP 1990-2015
- Ultra high net worth individuals - distribution by region 2016Ultra high net worth individuals - distribution by region 2016
- Population in China in 2015, by regionPopulation in China in 2015, by region
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl