The Smartphone Platform War Is Over
While the global smartphone market is as competitive as ever in terms of manufacturers fighting for the consumers’ love (and money), the long-raging platform war appears to be over. According to a recent report by Gartner, Android and iOS now account for more than 99 percent of global smartphone sales, rendering every other platform irrelevant.
As the chart below illustrates that hasn’t always been the case. Back in 2010, Android and iOS devices accounted for less than 40 percent of global smartphone sales. Back then, devices running Nokia’s Symbian and BlackBerry accounted for a significant portion of smartphone sales and Microsoft’s market share stood at 4.2 percent.
While Symbian is long extinct and BlackBerry has started transitioning to Android devices, Microsoft has not yet given up on Windows 10 Mobile as a platform aimed at professional users. Whether Windows, or any other platform for that matter, stands a chance against the dominance of Android and iOS at this point seems highly doubtful though.
- Share of smartphone operating systems sales in Great Britain 2014-2016Share of smartphone operating systems sales in Great Britain 2014-2016
- Market share of smartphone operating systems in Germany 2011-2015Market share of smartphone operating systems in Germany 2011-2015
- Smartphone operating systems used by Flemish individuals in Belgium 2014-2016Smartphone operating systems used by Flemish individuals in Belgium 2014-2016
- U.S. smartphone subscriber share by operating platform 2012-2017, by monthU.S. smartphone subscriber share by operating platform 2012-2017, by month
- Market share of Android and iOS in smartphone sales in Germany 2012-2017Market share of Android and iOS in smartphone sales in Germany 2012-2017
- China: production of cell phones by month March 2017China: production of cell phones by month March 2017
- Market share of the most common operating systems in Germany 2009-2017Market share of the most common operating systems in Germany 2009-2017
- Mobile operating systems: market share in the United Kingdom (UK) 2010-2017Mobile operating systems: market share in the United Kingdom (UK) 2010-2017
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl