Samsung Announces Third Quarter Results
Galaxy Note Disaster Wipes Out Samsung's Mobile Profits
Earlier today, Samsung announced its third quarter results, giving us a first idea of the fallout following the disastrous launch of the Galaxy Note 7. The device, first released in August, was supposed to be Samsung’s new flagship smartphone, but turned into every company’s worst nightmare after several reports of the phone’s battery catching fire emerged. A global recall didn’t solve the problem, ultimately forcing Samsung to stop selling the Galaxy Note 7 altogether.
Samsung’s operating profit for the quarter amounted to 5.2 trillion won, down from 7.8 trillion Samsung had originally anticipated. As our chart illustrates, the incidents surrounding the Note 7 all but wiped out the company’s mobile profits. Operating profit from Samsung’s mobile communications segment declined by 96 percent compared to last year, burning a hole of more than $2 billion into the company’s accounts.
While billions of dollars in lost profit would be enough to put many companies out of business, Samsung is probably large enough to move on from this unfortunate episode down, but not out. In the end, there is a lesson to be learned from every disaster. This particular lesson being that spontaneous self-combustion is not a feature smartphone users are looking for.
- Samsung's operating profit 2009-2016, by quarterSamsung's operating profit 2009-2016, by quarter
- Samsung Galaxy Note sales since launch, by versionSamsung Galaxy Note sales since launch, by version
- GlaxoSmithKline's operating profit by division 2006-2015GlaxoSmithKline's operating profit by division 2006-2015
- China: mobile phone subscriptions by month November 2016China: mobile phone subscriptions by month November 2016
- Most popular product brands on Facebook 2016Most popular product brands on Facebook 2016
- Share of smartphone shipments worldwide 2015-2016, by vendorShare of smartphone shipments worldwide 2015-2016, by vendor
- Smartphone sales revenue worldwide 2013-2016Smartphone sales revenue worldwide 2013-2016
- Apple's revenue worldwide 2004-2016Apple's revenue worldwide 2004-2016
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl