Music consumption in the U.S. rising to record levels
The Rise of Music Streaming Continues
Americans consume more music than ever. That’s according to Nielsen’s 2016 U.S. Music report, published last week. Fueled by a further increase in music streaming, overall album consumption (measured in album sales and equivalent digital song downloads and streams) increased by 3.1 percent compared to the previous year.
While CD and digital album sales decreased by 16 and 20 percent, respectively, the number of on-demand music streams increased to 432 billion, up nearly 40 percent since 2015. While nearly 80 percent of music consumption now happens digitally, the most analog of formats continues its surprising comeback. LP sales were up 10 percent in 2016 as vinyl lovers bought 13.1 million albums.
- Global digital music consumption distribution in 2014, by genreGlobal digital music consumption distribution in 2014, by genre
- Music consumption in Great Britain 2011-2016, by formatMusic consumption in Great Britain 2011-2016, by format
- Music consumption in the U.S. 2016, by genre & formatMusic consumption in the U.S. 2016, by genre & format
- Average time spent per day with media in Sweden 2016Average time spent per day with media in Sweden 2016
- Recorded music market revenue worldwide 2005-2015Recorded music market revenue worldwide 2005-2015
- Most popular music genres in Germany 2016Most popular music genres in Germany 2016
- Global music industry revenue 2015-2020Global music industry revenue 2015-2020
- Music industry revenue in the U.S. 2011-2020Music industry revenue in the U.S. 2011-2020
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl