Radio Still Beats Online Services For Music Discovery
How do you stay up to date with the latest musical hits? For many Americans, their dusty old radio in the corner of the kitchen beats their shiny new smartphone for music discovery. That's according to a recent survey from Edison Research which found that 19 percent of Americans use AM/FM radio most often to stay up to date with the latest hits. It also found that friends and family are the primary source of music discovery (22 percent), though radio certainly gives streaming a run for its money.
YouTube is the most popular online platform when it comes to finding new music with 15 percent of Edison's respondents saying they use it most often to stay up to date. Spotify follows with 10 percent while Pandora is the third most popular online choice with 9 percent. The latter just launched its premium music streaming service but it might prove a tall order to loosen radio's stranglehold on music discovery.
- Regular users of audio streaming services in Switzerland in 2014Regular users of audio streaming services in Switzerland in 2014
- Canadians accessing online audio streaming in Canada 2015, by language Canadians accessing online audio streaming in Canada 2015, by language
- Age profile of audio streaming service users in Great Britain (UK) 2014Age profile of audio streaming service users in Great Britain (UK) 2014
- China: weekly box office revenue - April 17 to April 23, 2017China: weekly box office revenue - April 17 to April 23, 2017
- Media advertising expenditure in Germany 2017, by typeMedia advertising expenditure in Germany 2017, by type
- News reach in the U.S. 2017, by sourceNews reach in the U.S. 2017, by source
- Most popular radio stations in San Diego 2017Most popular radio stations in San Diego 2017
- Daily media usage in Sweden 2016, by mediumDaily media usage in Sweden 2016, by medium
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl