Try our corporate solution for free!
(212) 419-8294
vianny.gutierrez-cruz@statista.com

Mobile operating systems in the United States - statistics & facts

Mobile operating systems (mobile OS) are crucial to the performance of a user’s device, managing the software and hardware on devices such as smartphones, tablets, and smartwatches. Devices come pre-installed with a mobile OS, and different versions are regularly made available with improved security, stability, and performance. These software updates may change the look and feel of how a device operates, but they are integral to making the user experience as pleasant as possible.

Apple’s strength at home


The mobile OS market in the United States is dominated by two American multinational companies: Google and Apple. Together, these two companies account for 99.5 percent of the overall mobile OS market. Microsoft and RIM/Blackberry account for the remaining 0.5 percent. The Android operating system is developed by Google and holds close to half of the smartphone market share in the United States. Android’s success, both in the United States and worldwide, can in many ways be attributed to its open-source software and the fact that it can run on devices from numerous mobile device vendors.

The United States is an extremely strong market for Apple. Globally, Apple devices accounted for 16 percent of all smartphones shipped in the first quarter of 2021, Apple’s iOS – which runs on iPhones and iPads only – currently holds around 52 percent of the market in the U.S, despite being limited to devices from a single vendor. Apple’s market share in the United Kingdom (UK) is similar, making the U.S. and the UK two of the company’s most important markets.

Tablet devices: Apple on top again


Apple’s lead in the tablet market is even more pronounced than it is in the smartphone arena. iOS is currently the leading tablet operating system in the United States, holding more than 60 percent of the overall market.

The installed base of tablet users in the United States is expected to grow until at least 2025, with an additional 20 million tablet users expected from 2021 to 2025. By 2025, 232.6 million Americans are projected to use a tablet device, creating a tablet penetration rate of 68.34 percent.

Global overview: Android powers the mobile world


While Apple accounts for most of the market in the United States, Android runs on close to 72 percent of the world’s mobile devices. This is likely due to the larger range of devices on which Android can run, and the availability of affordable devices. The average selling price of an Android device in 2021 is expected to reach 261 U.S. dollars, well below the minimum selling price of a smartphone in the iPhone range.

Key figures

The most important key figures provide you with a compact summary of the topic of "Mobile OS in the United States" and take you straight to the corresponding statistics.

Tablet market in the United States

Customer behavior in the United States

Interesting statistics

In the following 5 chapters, you will quickly find the 23 most important statistics relating to "Mobile OS in the United States".

Mobile OS in the U.S.

Dossier on the topic

All important statistics are prepared by our experts – available for direct download as PPT & PDF!
TOP SELLER

Mobile operating systems in the United States - statistics & facts

Mobile operating systems (mobile OS) are crucial to the performance of a user’s device, managing the software and hardware on devices such as smartphones, tablets, and smartwatches. Devices come pre-installed with a mobile OS, and different versions are regularly made available with improved security, stability, and performance. These software updates may change the look and feel of how a device operates, but they are integral to making the user experience as pleasant as possible.

Apple’s strength at home


The mobile OS market in the United States is dominated by two American multinational companies: Google and Apple. Together, these two companies account for 99.5 percent of the overall mobile OS market. Microsoft and RIM/Blackberry account for the remaining 0.5 percent. The Android operating system is developed by Google and holds close to half of the smartphone market share in the United States. Android’s success, both in the United States and worldwide, can in many ways be attributed to its open-source software and the fact that it can run on devices from numerous mobile device vendors.

The United States is an extremely strong market for Apple. Globally, Apple devices accounted for 16 percent of all smartphones shipped in the first quarter of 2021, Apple’s iOS – which runs on iPhones and iPads only – currently holds around 52 percent of the market in the U.S, despite being limited to devices from a single vendor. Apple’s market share in the United Kingdom (UK) is similar, making the U.S. and the UK two of the company’s most important markets.

Tablet devices: Apple on top again


Apple’s lead in the tablet market is even more pronounced than it is in the smartphone arena. iOS is currently the leading tablet operating system in the United States, holding more than 60 percent of the overall market.

The installed base of tablet users in the United States is expected to grow until at least 2025, with an additional 20 million tablet users expected from 2021 to 2025. By 2025, 232.6 million Americans are projected to use a tablet device, creating a tablet penetration rate of 68.34 percent.

Global overview: Android powers the mobile world


While Apple accounts for most of the market in the United States, Android runs on close to 72 percent of the world’s mobile devices. This is likely due to the larger range of devices on which Android can run, and the availability of affordable devices. The average selling price of an Android device in 2021 is expected to reach 261 U.S. dollars, well below the minimum selling price of a smartphone in the iPhone range.

Interesting statistics

In the following 5 chapters, you will quickly find the 23 most important statistics relating to "Mobile OS in the United States".

Contact

Get in touch with us. We are happy to help.
Statista Locations
Contact Vianny Gutierrez-Cruz
Vianny Gutierrez-Cruz
Sales Manager– Contact (United States)

Mon - Fri, 9am - 6pm (EST)

Contact Ziyan Zhang
Ziyan Zhang
Customer Relations– Contact (Asia)

Mon - Fri, 11:30am - 10pm (IST)

Contact Kisara Mizuno
Kisara Mizuno
Customer Success Manager– Contact (Asia)

Mon - Fri, 9:30am - 5:30pm (JST)

Contact Lodovica Biagi
Lodovica Biagi
Director of Operations– Contact (Europe)

Mon - Fri, 9:30am - 5pm (GMT)

Contact Catalina Rodriguez
Catalina Rodriguez
Key Account Manager - LAC– Contact (Latin America)

Mon - Fri, 9am - 6pm (EST)