Millions of Teens Have Abandoned Facebook since 2011
The debate about whether or not young people are losing interest in Facebook has been going on for a while now. Some say it's a problem that the media invented, others say that teenagers are indeed jumping ship in favor of new, more hip services such as Instagram, Snapchat or Tumblr.
Yesterday, iStrategyLabs came out with a report that appears to prove Facebook's teenager exodus. According to iStrategy, which pulls its data from Facebook's social ad tool, the number of users aged 13-24 in the United States has declined by more than 6 million since January 2011. If the data is correct, Facebook's teenage user base in the U.S. shrank by an alarming 25 percent in the past three years, indicating that Facebook does indeed have trouble reaching young users.
- Forecast of the social network user penetration rate in Finland 2014-2021Forecast of the social network user penetration rate in Finland 2014-2021
- Social network user growth in the United Kingdom (UK) 2012-2017, by ageSocial network user growth in the United Kingdom (UK) 2012-2017, by age
- Social network user growth in the United Kingdom (UK) 2012-2017Social network user growth in the United Kingdom (UK) 2012-2017
- Most popular product brands on Facebook 2016Most popular product brands on Facebook 2016
- Potential reach of ad campaigns during Gay Pride Parade in the Netherlands 2016Potential reach of ad campaigns during Gay Pride Parade in the Netherlands 2016
- Facebook: number of monthly active users worldwide 2008-2016Facebook: number of monthly active users worldwide 2008-2016
- Facebook: number of daily active users worldwide 2011-2016Facebook: number of daily active users worldwide 2011-2016
- Global number of internet users 2005-2016Global number of internet users 2005-2016
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Jan Ahrens