Smartphone Duopoly Pushes Competition to the Fringes
Five years ago, the smartphone market was quite fragmented. BlackBerry was still going strong, Symbian was present on millions of Nokia phones and Samsung was still experimenting with its own operating system, Bada.
Nowadays, there are basically just two relevant smartphone platforms left. Devices running Android and iOS accounted for more than 96% of global smartphone shipments in 2014, according to data published by IDC. The only other platform with so much as a hint of relevance left is Windows Phone, although Microsoft surely had other numbers in mind when it debuted Windows Phone 7 in 2010.
- Share of smartphone operating systems sales in Great Britain 2014-2016Share of smartphone operating systems sales in Great Britain 2014-2016
- Market share of smartphone operating systems in Germany 2011-2015Market share of smartphone operating systems in Germany 2011-2015
- Smartphone operating systems used by Flemish individuals in Belgium 2014-2015Smartphone operating systems used by Flemish individuals in Belgium 2014-2015
- Google: global annual revenue 2002-2016Google: global annual revenue 2002-2016
- Number of monthly active WhatsApp users as of 2013-2017Number of monthly active WhatsApp users as of 2013-2017
- China: production of cell phones by month December 2016China: production of cell phones by month December 2016
- Smartphone sales value in the United States 2005-2017Smartphone sales value in the United States 2005-2017
- Most popular Apple App Store categories 2016Most popular Apple App Store categories 2016
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl