People Working for Ford Worldwide
American automobile manufacturer Ford is looking to shed jobs. According to media reports, the cuts could affect up to 10 percent of its worldwide workforce, amounting to 20,000 employees. Apparently, the cuts will affect salaried workers, not the hourly staff working the assembly lines.
As the infographic below shows, Ford truly is a global player: According to the latest company figures there are 101,000 workers employed in the United States, Canada and Mexico in the automotive segment. There are approximately 93,000 workers employed in other world regions.
The Ford Credit branch employs another 7,000 people. All in, the total work force stood at 201,000 as of December 2016, according to Ford's most recent annual report. If Ford was really to shed 20,000 jobs, this would for example equal shutting down nearly all Asia Pacific operations.
Ford has 62 plants in total and its automotive segment has five main components: transmissions, forging, stamping, engine and assembly. Its two main brands are Ford and Lincoln of which close to 6.7 million units were sold through roughly 11,700 dealerships in 2016. Ford is based in Dearborn, Michigan.
- Employees in the automobile industry in Germany from 2005 to 2015Employees in the automobile industry in Germany from 2005 to 2015
- Employment in the automobile industry in China 2002-2012Employment in the automobile industry in China 2002-2012
- Number of research personnel in the automobile industry in China 2002-2011Number of research personnel in the automobile industry in China 2002-2011
- Full-time employees - unadjusted monthly number in the U.S. April 2017Full-time employees - unadjusted monthly number in the U.S. April 2017
- Passenger car production in the United States 1999-2016Passenger car production in the United States 1999-2016
- YTD market share of selected car manufacturers in Europe 2017YTD market share of selected car manufacturers in Europe 2017
- Passenger car sales in China 2008-2017*, by modelPassenger car sales in China 2008-2017*, by model
- Commercial vehicle sales in China 2008-2017, by modelCommercial vehicle sales in China 2008-2017, by model
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl