Super Bowl Ad Prices Doubled Since 2003
When Super Bowl XLIX kicks off on February 1, the NFL championship won’t be the only title that’s on the line. With more than a hundred million viewers glued to the TV in the U.S. alone, marketers and advertisers will compete for the unofficial title “Most Memorable Super Bowl Spot”.
Since 2003, the average rate for a 30-second spot during the Super Bowl broadcast has risen from $2.15 million to $4.20 million, making it by far the most expensive time slot U.S. television has to offer – a 30-second spot during the Academy Award ceremony is less than half the price. It's a price that brands are willing to pay though. Last year, Super Bowl TV ad spend in the U.S. amounted to $332 million, as advertising time during the broadcast increased to 49 minutes.
In return for their investment, advertisers not only get a huge audience (111.5 million viewers in 2014) but an audience that sticks around: during the 2013 Super Bowl, only 0.7 percent of the audience tuned away during commercial breaks. The average tuneaway rate during regular TV programming is five times as high. Consumers tend to pay special attention to Super Bowl ads, as agencies typically try to honour the prestigious occasion with especially witty and often funny ads.
- Super Bowl TV ad spend per viewer in the U.S. 2005-2015Super Bowl TV ad spend per viewer in the U.S. 2005-2015
- Most likable commercials of Super Bowl 50 in the U.S. 2016Most likable commercials of Super Bowl 50 in the U.S. 2016
- Largest Super Bowl advertisers 2006-2015Largest Super Bowl advertisers 2006-2015
Prognose der Nettoumsätze der audiovisuellen Medien in Deutschland im Jahr 2016 (in Milliarden Euro)
Prognose der Umsätze der audiovisuellen Medien in Deutschland 2016
Prognose zur Entwicklung der Nettoumsätze mit Radio- und Fernsehwerbung in Deutschland im Jahr 2016 (gegenüber dem Vorjahr)
Nettoumsätze mit Radio- und Fernsehwerbung 2016 (gegenüber dem Vorjahr)
Anteil der digitalen Geschäftsfelder am Gesamtumsatz ausgewählter Verlage und Medienunternehmen weltweit im Jahr 2015
Digitaler Umsatzanteil ausgewählter Medienunternehmen weltweit 2015
Marktanteile der TV-Sender in Deutschland im Jahr 2015
Marktanteile der TV-Sender in Deutschland 2015
Anzahl der durchschnittlich pro Haushalt empfangbaren TV-Sender in Deutschland in den Jahren 1988 bis 2016 (jeweils 1. Januar)
Pro Haushalt empfangbare TV-Sender in Deutschland bis 2016
Entwicklung der Anzahl der Privatfernseh- und Teleshoppingprogramme in Deutschland in den Jahren 2003 bis 2015
Anzahl der Privatfernseh- und Teleshoppingprogramme bis 2015
- Estimated weekly TV ad spend of U.S. companies October 17 to October 23, 2016Estimated weekly TV ad spend of U.S. companies October 17 to October 23, 2016
- Gross and net TV advertising revenue in Germany 2002-2015Gross and net TV advertising revenue in Germany 2002-2015
- Time spent with media vs. ad spending in the U.S. 2014Time spent with media vs. ad spending in the U.S. 2014
- Types of ads influencing buying decisions in the U.S. 2015Types of ads influencing buying decisions in the U.S. 2015
- Pfizer's ad spending 2008-2015Pfizer's ad spending 2008-2015
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl