Super Bowl Ad Prices Doubled Since 2003
When Super Bowl XLIX kicks off on February 1, the NFL championship won’t be the only title that’s on the line. With more than a hundred million viewers glued to the TV in the U.S. alone, marketers and advertisers will compete for the unofficial title “Most Memorable Super Bowl Spot”.
Since 2003, the average rate for a 30-second spot during the Super Bowl broadcast has risen from $2.15 million to $4.20 million, making it by far the most expensive time slot U.S. television has to offer – a 30-second spot during the Academy Award ceremony is less than half the price. It's a price that brands are willing to pay though. Last year, Super Bowl TV ad spend in the U.S. amounted to $332 million, as advertising time during the broadcast increased to 49 minutes.
In return for their investment, advertisers not only get a huge audience (111.5 million viewers in 2014) but an audience that sticks around: during the 2013 Super Bowl, only 0.7 percent of the audience tuned away during commercial breaks. The average tuneaway rate during regular TV programming is five times as high. Consumers tend to pay special attention to Super Bowl ads, as agencies typically try to honour the prestigious occasion with especially witty and often funny ads.
- Super Bowl TV ad spend per viewer in the U.S. 2005-2015Super Bowl TV ad spend per viewer in the U.S. 2005-2015
- Largest Super Bowl advertisers 2006-2015Largest Super Bowl advertisers 2006-2015
- Super Bowl advertising spending 2003-2015Super Bowl advertising spending 2003-2015
Investitionen in Printmedien im Content Marketing in Deutschland, Österreich und der Schweiz im Jahr 2016 (in Millionen Euro)
Investitionen in Printmedien für das Content Marketing in der DACH-Region 2016
Investitionen in digitale Medien im Content Marketing in Deutschland, Österreich und in der Schweiz im Jahr 2016 (in Millionen Euro)
Investitionen in digitale Medien für das Content Marketing in der DACH-Region 2016
Welche digitalen Medien setzt Ihr Unternehmen heute beim Content Marketing ein?
Umfrage zum Einsatz von digitalen Medien für das Content Marketing 2016
Verkaufte Auflage der TV Movie vom 1. Quartal 2010 bis zum 2. Quartal 2016
Verkaufte Auflage der TV Movie bis zum 2. Quartal 2016
Verkaufte Auflage der tv14 vom 1. Quartal 2010 bis zum 2. Quartal 2016
Verkaufte Auflage der tv14 bis zum 2. Quartal 2016
Printvermarkter (Publikumszeitschriften + Wochenzeitungen) mit den höchsten Bruttowerbeumsätzen in Deutschland von Januar bis August 2016
Printvermarkter mit den höchsten Bruttowerbeumsätzen in Deutschland 2016
- Estimated weekly TV ad spend of U.S. companies September 19 to September 26, 2016Estimated weekly TV ad spend of U.S. companies September 19 to September 26, 2016
- Gross and net TV advertising revenue in Germany 2002-2015Gross and net TV advertising revenue in Germany 2002-2015
- Time spent with media vs. ad spending in the U.S. 2014Time spent with media vs. ad spending in the U.S. 2014
- Types of ads influencing buying decisions in the U.S. 2015Types of ads influencing buying decisions in the U.S. 2015
- Pfizer's ad spending 2008-2015Pfizer's ad spending 2008-2015
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl